Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Prozac Nation (Screenplay written by Frank Deasy and Lary Gross, 2001)

Genre: Contemporary

Honors:None Found

Review: Lizzie, a talented writer, receives a journalism scholarship to Harvard and moves from her native home of Manhattan to Cambridge.  At first Lizzie is having a great time in college, she makes friends, dates men, and even receives an award from Rolling Stone for her review of a Lou Reed performance.  Slowly, and then rapidly, Lizzie begins to have mental health problems and alienates and betrays her family and friends. Lizzie begins regular visits with a therapist and slowly works through her issues of mistrust that stem from her dysfunctional relationship with her parents.  Briefly, the movie addresses Lizzie's use of Prozac as an anti-depressant, but it feels rushed and artificial.

Opinion: Overall, I did not like this film.  I had to watch it in two sittings because it was so overly dramatic, and in my opinion overdone.  At the end of the film it is shown that Lizzie is a real person and that she wrote the book that this movie is based on. I actually wonder if the book is better than the movie and I kind of want to read it.  I think the story is a good one, I just don't think the movie did it justice.


Ideas: None. 

No comments:

Post a Comment