Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Waters & The Wild by Francesca Lia Block


Genre: Contemporary

Honors: None Found

Review:  Bee has always felt like an outcast and has never truly been happy with herself.  One night she is visited by a girl that appears to be a ghost.  Bee consults Haze, a boy that believes his parents were aliens in hopes that he will know more.  The two form a connection and soon become friends with Sarah, a girl who can remember being a slave in the far past.  The three become companions in the bizarre and begin to enjoy each other's company.  Eventually Bee becomes very ill and her life changes forever. 


Opinion:  They say, don't judge a book by its cover, and this book is a perfect example.  I was immediately drawn to this beautiful cover, and after realizing it was written by Block I was very excited to read one of her more recent novels.  After starting to read the book I became less and less excited until I was just forcing myself to finish the book (luckily it is short).  I had trouble relating to the bizarre characters and the connection they found in one another.  I also felt a bit confused at the end, and while I often love inconclusive endings that make me think about the book long after I am done reading, this conclusion was strange and uninteresting.  The writing is creative, but I found it too unbelievable to really enjoy.
 
Ideas: Not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment